ARCHITECTURE
CITYSCAPES
SCULPTURE
BOOKS
EXHIBITS
BLOGS
ABOUT
The Adler Planetarium


THE ADLER PLANETARIUM
1300 S LAKE SHORE DRIVE
CHICAGO, IL

ERNEST GRUNSFELD JR
ARCHITECT


 

The ADLER PLANETARIUM, named to honor Chicago business leader, Max Adler, was constructed in 1929 and completed in May of 1930. Located on Northerly Island, it is the first public planetarium in the United States. Designed by the Beaux Arts educated, Chicago Architect Ernest Grunsfeld (1897-1970) it is a twelve sided domed granite structure, with each corner depicting a sign of the Zodiac. The decorative panels are the work of sculptor, Alphonso Iannelli.

Link HERE for photographs of Iannelli's Signs of the Zodiac.

COLLECTION OF PHOTOGRAPHS
The Planetarium was under construction in 1929, at the onset of the Depression. Link HERE to preview the book.